Inauguration of the Bern Center for Precision Medicine (BCPM)
17.05.2019 – Precision medicine “tailored” to individual patients is regarded as the medicine of the future. The new Bern Center for Precision Medicine will exploit synergies and strengthen the medicinal location in Bern. The Bern Center for Precision Medicine is an initiative founded by the Canton, the University, and the University Hospital of Bern.
Precision medicine strives to identify the right patient and therapy at the right time. The BCPM will establish the regulatory, technical, clinical, ethical, and economic framework to create a robust precision medicine approach to treating our patients in health and disease.
The Bern Center for Precision Medicine is headed by the management board (Zentrumsleitung). Members are:
- Prof. Dr. Mark Rubin: Director of the Department for Biomedical Resaearch (DBMR) and head of the management board. Prof Rubin was the founding director of the Englander Institute for Precision Medicine at Weill Cornell Medicine and co-leader of the All of Us program (U.S. National Precision Medicine Program) for New York City before being recruited to Bern.
- Prof. Dr. Claudia Kuehni: Head of a research group at the Institute of Social and Preventive Medicine (ISPM). Member of the management board.
- Prof. Dr. Tosso Leeb: Head of the Institute of Genetics at the Vetsuisse Faculty. Member of the management board.
- Prof Dr. Carlo Largiadèr: Vice Director of the Institute of Clinical Chemistry at the Inselspital; Bern university hospital. Member of the management board.
- Dr. Rémy Bruggmann: Head of the Interfaculty Bioinformatics Unit. Member of the management board.
The management board is supported by Timo Staub, MSc, chief operating officer of the Bern Center for Precision Medicine.
Management board of the BCPM (from left to right): Prof. Dr. Tosso Leeb, Prof. Dr. Mark A. Rubin, Prof. Dr. Claudia Kühni, Prof. Dr. Carlo Largiadèr, Dr. Rémy Bruggmann. Image: BCPM, University of Bern
The Bern Center for Precision Medicine (BCPM) of the University of Bern and the Inselspital, University Hospital Bern, will be officially opened on Monday, May 20, 2019.